This is a Guest Post by Shilpa Garg
This is a jot from a mother whose son would be a teen soon!
They say that the mother of a teenager is synonymous with apprehensions and fear.
Why, you may ask!!
Well, the reasons are many and thoughts are plenty…
I know that the teenage is a very delicate stage of life. It is the intermediary stage of growth between childhood and adulthood, where one is struggling for autonomy and identity. There are biological transformations and the child runs into a number of emotional tribulations. The nature of an teen’s behavior is greatly influenced by his friends and companions. There are a lot of pressures too.…
- the studies
- the career decisions
- the dilemma of choosing the ‘Right’ or the ‘Wrong’
- the conflict between the family values and peer group beliefs
- personal appearance…
With so much of exposure at a young age today, your life as a teenage in coming times (and even now) is surely going to very very different from the one I had. But, I believe whatever the advancements or modernization, the basic principles or the rules to live by will remain the same.
Today, I’d like to share my learnings, beliefs and thoughts for you, the would-be-teens or teenagers…
- Share. Express yourself…your thoughts, your ideas, or just anything with your parents. It will help you tremendously and help them understand your dreams and aspirations better.
- Accept yourself as you are and identify your unique strengths and build on them.
- Have realistic expectations.
- Eat healthy and stay healthy.
- Exert yourself physically in some outdoor game.
- Read. Read. Read. It will open up a whole new world for you.
- Appreciate what you have and count your blessings. The grass is not always greener on the other side.
- Choose your company wisely.
I am not going to promise that it would be easy. But then nothing is impossible.
May you enjoy, love and grow in your teen years!!